» Savings Bonds FAQ    » Savings Bonds Buying    » Redeeming Savings Bonds

» Replacing Savings Bonds    » Convert Savings Bonds    » HH/H Savings Bonds

buy US baby bonds

Redeeming (Cashing In) EE/E Savings Bonds

When can I redeem my EE/E Bonds?

After they are 12 months old.

What are my EE/E Bonds worth?

Use the Savings Bond Calculator.

Note: Savings bonds cannot be transferred. If you find a bond that belongs to someone else or buy a bond on an online auction site, you cannot redeem it. (If you inherit a bond through the death of the bond owner, see Death of a Savings Bond Owner.)

How do I redeem my EE/E Bonds?

Electronic bonds Log in to TreasuryDirect and follow the directions there. The cash amount can be credited to your checking or savings account within two business days of the redemption date.
Paper bonds You can cash paper EE/E Bonds at many local financial institutions. We don't keep a list of banks that redeem bonds, so check with banks in your area.

More information for special situations:
Redeeming Bonds Outside the United States and
Redeeming a Young Child's Bond.

How do I authorize an attorney-in-fact to redeem my bonds?

For instructions, please see publication PD P 0105, "Power of Attorney: United States Savings Bonds & Notes."

How much can I redeem at one time?

Electronic bonds
in your TreasuryDirect account
No limit
Paper bonds
up to $1,000 (redemption value)
With just the evidence described in the next section, "What will I need to redeem a paper bond?"
Paper bonds --  
$1,000 or more (redemption value)
As described in the next section "What will I need to redeem a paper bond?" Alternatively, you can:
  • Have a certifying officer at abank where you have an account certifyyour signature in each  request for payment on the back of each bond.
  • Provide your Social Security Number.
  • Mail the bonds to the Treasury Retail Securities Site.

What will I need to redeem a paper bond?

Before taking in the bonds to redeem them, it's usually a good idea to check with the financial institution to find out what identification and other documents you'll need.
When you present your paper bonds, you'll be asked to show your identity. You can do this by

If you are not listed as the owner or co-owner on the bond, you'll have to show that you are entitled to cash in the bond.

Will I get a form for my taxes?

Yes. IRS Form 1099-INT is provided for all redeemed bonds. The form may be available when you redeem your bond or after the end of the  year.

Electronic bonds Log in to TreasuryDirect and go to ManageDirect. Form 1099-INT is one of the links on the ManageDirect page.
Paper bonds The financial institution where you redeemed the bond will mail the form to the address on record for the bond owner. (Typically, this mailing takes place after the end of the year in which the bond is redeemed.)

Tax Considerations for EE/E Bonds

Can I find out if an EE/E Bond has already been redeemed?

If you have the serial numbers for EE/E Bonds, we can look up the status for you. If you are the owner or co-owner of the bonds, send a signed request to the address below. Be sure to include the serial numbers of the bonds you are asking about.

If the owner or both co-owners have died, you must provide proof such as a copy of the death certificatefor each deceased person, with your letter.

Send your letter to:

Bureau of the Fiscal Service
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012

Other written inquiries can be sent to that address.  Any information you have about the bonds should be included.