directory of debt settlement help       home page

Credit Card Protection

So often community members have asked for a letter example to accomplish some purpose. This then is a sample format I have written myself or obtained from others on my Forum. Feel free to copy, paste, and alter to fit your needs.

Whether separated, divorced, married, living alone, or living with parents, you are entitled to your own credit file. A separated file is an excellent strategy especially if the person with whom you are merged has bad debt which is not in your name. Even if you both have bad debt, separating the files can be mutually beneficial because individually, each has less bad credit to overcome. Send a letter similar to the following to each of the three main credit bureaus.

Request Separation of Individual Credit File


From: (Your Name)

TO: Credit Reporting Agency


City, State, Zip Code

Subject: Separate Credit Files

Please issue a credit report in my name only, after removing the following creditors. [List debts including creditor and account numbers]____________________________________________________

My spouse is solely responsible for these obligations as demonstrated by the attached documentation. Also enclosed is a copy of my driver's license [military ID, utility bill, or other identification].

Full Name: _____________________________________

Phone Number: ___________________________________

Current Address:________________________________

Previous Addresses (last 5 years):______________


Spouses Full Name:______________________________

Your birth date:__________ Spouse's birth date_____________

Your SSN#______________ Spouse's SSN#_________________