Ask the Doctor Questions
Below are some questions you can ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your frequent heartburn.
Can I treat my heartburn or do I need to see the doctor?
What foods will make my heartburn worse?
How can I change the way I eat to help my heartburn?
- How long should I wait after eating before lying down?
- How long should I wait after eating before exercising?
Will losing weight help my heartburn symptoms?
Do cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine make my heartburn worse?
What changes should I make in my bed, if I have heartburn at night?
What medicines will help my heartburn?
- Will antacids help my heartburn?
- Are there other medicines that will help my heartburn symptoms?
- Do I need a prescription to buy them?
- Does the medicine have any side effects?
How do I know if I have a more serious problem?
- When should I call the doctor?
- What other tests or procedures do I need if my heartburn does not go away?
Are there surgeries that help with heartburn?
- How are the surgeries done? What are the risks?
- How well do the surgeries work? Will I still need to take medicine for my heartburn after surgery? Will I ever need to have surgery again for the heartburn?